Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Very Long Hiatus


Having been over 8 months since I last wrote a blog entry, I am finding it hard to decide what to focus on for this post!  So much has transpired that it would be impossible–and likely very boring to my readers–to bring them up to speed on all my latest shenanigans.  Suffice it to say that I have had ample time to become settled in my new home and country of residence, and have finally reached a certain point of contentment.  






Some highlights of my new life here in Jordan are the fact that I am now driving, working and have been volunteering quite a bit.   Driving here in Jordan is no easy feat on Amman's crazy streets!  I finally got the courage to get behind the wheel last April, and now am no longer nervous; I use my horn liberally while gesturing wildly and uttering expletives in Arabic.  This September, after volunteering part-time for about 6 months at a non-profit organization, I started working full-time at a Montessori school that educates children and youth from pre-school to grade 12.  Work is extremely satisfying since a large part of my job is to write, copy edit and proofread, which I enjoy immensely.  In addition, I get to interact with students periodically and I enjoy that very much as well; they are full of energy and promise and always make me smile.  I finally feel as if I have found work that suits my personality and makes best use of my abilities.  Another way I've been kept busy is through involvement in various volunteer activities and social groups that promote positive change in my community, and in Jordan in general.  Basically, my time is now so full that I seldom have a day to just sit and relax, which is in stark comparison to how I spent my first several months here in 2012, a time that included a lot of reading to fill my time, as well as bouts of frustration and mild depression, both common symptoms of culture shock. 

Reading the book Azeeza Protects the Forest, by Karen Asfour, to school children in a Children's Museum library 

An Azeeza display board I made to educate children about litter decomposition rates
I read A LOT of books in my spare time.

















My new office at the Montessori school
Work and fun at the Children's Virtues Class I teach weekly



















































One area where I feel I have fallen short is in establishing a consistent exercise routine.  Having my dog back in the states was, in retrospect, my only motivation to exercise, it seems.  So, as I approach another birthday this December, and parts of my body naturally gravitate south, I know it's time to quit making excuses and just do something about it!  The weather here in Amman goes through four distinct seasons and the winters are quite cold and windy, and if God is on our side, wet.  So, my options are to either join a gym or bundle up and brave the cold while I get in a brisk walk/jog a few times a week.  On a related note, several members of my family and I have gotten into a healthy eating regimen.  Some of us are juicing green drinks as often as possible, and cutting back on simple carbs such as rice, white bread and sugars.  Basically, eating as many fruits, vegetables, and other raw foods and legumes as possible, while still enjoying regular home cooked meals and even occasional restaurant dining.  All things in moderation is the general concept. We tried to make a family WhatsApp group, but were promptly asked to get our own group because we were becoming too preachy!  
My brother-in-law sent this to me.
Another subtle message from my brother-in-law

I would love to say I'm a vegetarian, but I am not that evolved yet–I still love to sink my teeth into a juicy steak, burger or lamb chop!  
A favorite guilty pleasure is a meal at Burger Shack in Abdoun.  YUM!


Here are a few links if anyone else would like to embark on a clean eating journey:

https://www.facebook.com/VegetableJuicing
http://www.hungryforchange.tv/
http://fitlife.tv/5-inflammatory-foods-avoid/

A healthy spinach salad with legumes
Ingredients of typical breakfast juice








Family and friends here and there.  Pets here and pets there.  Pregnancies and births here and there.  Engagements and weddings here and there.  Illnesses and deaths here and there.  Celebrations and crises here and there. Time, and life, keeps marching forward. Though I know I am missing out on so much that goes on back at home, Amman has captured my heart, despite all its idiosyncrasies. My life is here now, for the unforeseeable future, and I've assimilated.  I miss my friends and family so much, but I no longer feel stuck between two "homes."  Some of my family and close friends stay in regular contact with me via e-mail and through social media, and that helps ease the homesickness when it kicks in, but nothing will replace the feeling I'll have after the New Year when I fly over Seattle's gorgeous landscape, excitedly looking out the small window as the plane makes its final descent carrying me safely to my original home.  


I felt so happy to see my home country's flags next to the Jordanian flags when Obama was in town. 

A bit nostalgic for me, here is one of the many rivers back in the Pacific Northwest.  

Here I am kicking back during a hike in my home state of Washington.

Jordan offers so many opportunities to explore the outdoors and is beautiful in its own right.

Spectacular Mount Rainier, visible from my hometown in Washington State, is always a stunning sight.




Well, that is a short version of what I have been up to over the last eight months.  I'll certainly try to be more consistent in my postings going forward.  Of course, as I wrote this, so many other topics came to mind that I could share.  But for now, we're off to go see some friends in the hospital to congratulate them on the birth of their first child!  

Cheers!
~M.








No comments:

Post a Comment