Monday, April 30, 2012

My Faithful Companion


My dog, Ellie, has been my loyal companion for almost 5 years now. When I was recovering from neck surgery after a car accident a few years ago, she was by my side constantly throughout months of recovery, standing guard and sensing when I was in a lot of pain. In fact, she is so keyed in to my emotions that she picks up on even the slightest change in my demeanor, whether it be happy or sad, frustrated or angry, tired or scared, and she responds appropriately. We’ve often joked that if we could just get her a “Service Dog” vest, she could go everywhere with us! 

Ellie was missing "Mom," so rested her head on my slippers till I got back.





 
Ellie was an 11-month old rescue dog when we got her.   We researched her breed (Irish Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier) and chose her specifically for that breed’s temperament, versatility, and hypoallergenic coat.  She supposedly does not shed, but my husband would beg to differ about that. Whatever hair she does leave behind is minimal, however, and she’s just so darn adorable that we forgive her for her hair loss anyway.  After a rigorous pet adoption process via a purebred rescue in California (that even included a home visit beforehand by local Wheaten Terrier breeders!) we were approved to adopt “Polly,” who we renamed “Ellie,” in October of 2007.   She flew to us all the way from Cincinnati, Ohio.  So, we are committed to being her caregivers and loving companions. My history as a dog owner is nothing to be proud of.  Sometimes due to circumstances beyond my control, or due to lack of training on my part because I was a single working mother of two with no spare time, and other times because I didn’t properly research the breed that I chose, I ended up finding new homes for dogs I have owned in the past.  In any case, before we chose Ellie, I made a commitment to care for her until her last breath. 

Ellie playing with my daughter in the snow this February

Playing dress up with my daughters.

How will her presence affect a smooth transition among a household and society that is not as adoring of pets as we crazy Americans are?  There are no Petcos or PetSmarts in Jordan. Big box stores for animals, where the pets can actually accompany you into the store?  You MUST be kidding!  Canine couture and accessories for pets?  Seriously? Dogs atop beds or couches? Disgusting AND unsanitary! Speaking of unsanitary, there are no "poop-scoop" laws there, so I will be sure to bring a stock of plastic baggies to clean up after her messes.  Though I have yet to see a dog kept as an indoor pet there, I have noticed many that are kept as guard dogs, or that are allowed to roam freely, or are wild and run in packs, scavenging, once the sun has set.  Between wild dogs roaming at night and the nocturnal screeching of cats in heat, poor pampered Ellie wouldn’t stand a chance out of doors overnight. She barely knows how to bark!

Watching an episode of The Office with me.  











I cater to Ellie’s very delicate appetite.  She often goes on food strike for days on end, with apparent appetite loss and malaise, often accompanied by gastrointestinal issues.   It is then that I whip up some exciting culinary delight to tempt her taste buds.  I’m afraid my poor mother-in-law will faint in disbelief if she ever witnesses this! I worry that my dog will be a point of contention, yet leaving her behind is not an option. 

Which reminds me…I need to seriously look into transport options for her. I already know that Jordan does not require canines coming into the country to be quarantined.  That was a relief!  We also have a good veterinary clinic close to the house where we will take her, and they handle dog grooming and boarding as well.  

Eventually, I’m sure Ellie will adapt to her new environment, despite the changes in her routine and with the warmer climate and new cast of characters. In the meantime, I have begun coaching her on proper Arabic doggie etiquette, and I’m confident she will charm her way into the hearts of her new family in Amman in time.   As my husband often reminds me, things always seem to have a way of working themselves out in the end!




















Goodnight, Seattle and Sabaah al-khayr, Amman!

~M.

No comments:

Post a Comment